Explore the beautiful Miller Woods with family and friends. Behold beautiful wetlands, birds, flowers and more in Miller Woods.
Need to Know
Hours & Information
- Hours – Trails and parking lot are open daily from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm Central Time. The Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Time, from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through the Monday of Labor Day weekend. The center is open daily from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Central Time for the remainder of the year.
- Passes are required.
- Trail Length – Douglas Center loop: 0.9 miles. Beach trail: 3.4 miles.
- Hike Time – Douglas Center loop: 30 minutes. Beach trail: 2 hours.
- Difficulty – Douglas Center loop: easy. Beach trail: moderate with some elevation change closer to the lake.
- Trail Surface – Packed dirt with some sections of loose sand. Be aware, trail conditions can change quickly due to high lake levels and storms.
- Facilities – Year-round restrooms and potable water in the Paul H. Douglas Center during open hours.
- Pets – Permitted on a leash (6′ or shorter).
- Prohibited – Littering and hunting.
- Prohibited – Bicycles and motorized vehicles.
- Prohibited – Removing plants, rocks, shells, and fossils.
- Prohibited – Glass and fires on the beach.
- Parking lot is paved and large enough for RVs and buses.
- Please stay on the trail and respect closed area signs. Going off trail damages fragile habitat.
- Ticks are present year-round. Take precautionary measures to prevent bites.
- Poison ivy can be present on the edges of the trail.
- Be prepared for changing weather conditions.
- In case of an emergency or to report a crime, call 1-800-PARK-TIP.
- Trails are not wheelchair accessible. The Paul H. Douglas Center, restrooms, and the walkway from the building to the marsh boardwalk and picnic tables are all wheelchair accessible.
“- ( NPS.GOV – Last updated 2/20/2023)
100 North Lake Street, Gary, IN 46403
Trailhead GPS Coordinates
41.606466, -87.268527 (Decimal Degrees)